Baroness X: Golden Age of Tango Collection

Friday, March 31, 2017 Unknown 0 Comments


Heyo! I've got the Baroness X Golden Age of Tango Collection to show you! This gorgeous collection of squishy, shimmery neons is a tribute to Demi's fiancé's father who passed away last year. In addition to being one of the world's leaders in radio engineering, he was also in a tango band that toured Cuba during the 1930's! All the polishes in this collection are named after his favorite singers and musicians in the genre. 

To save myself the sake of repeating myself over and over let's just go over some stuff now. First being that neons are super hard to capture a color accurate photo of. I tried my hardest to do so with these and I think I did a pretty decent job. That's why these pictures are in a much lower light than I normally use though. I found that gave me the most color accurate photos, but even now I'm still not quite sure how accurate these will look with someone else's monitor settings. I checked for accuracy on both my computer screen and phone screen and they looked good (save for the purple, but we'll cover that later). 

Second, the formula is nearly identical on all of these, easy to work with and opaque in a few coats (I hear they watermarble and stamp over light colors!). You'll notice I used three coats for all of them, but that won't be necessary for everyone. I was trying to make sure my visible nail line didn't show up in photos because it has a way of being a turd and showing in pictures even when it's not actually visible to the nekkid eye. No white base is needed for any of them and any visible nail line you see in pictures wasn't visible in person or was hardly perceptible. They all dry to that sort of satin-y, matte-but-not-quite-matte, finish. A top coat is absolutely necessary if you want that glossy finish.

Piazzolla is a bright neon pink with purple shimmer. IMO, this one was the hardest to see the shimmer in out of the bunch. It's quite visible in the bottle but it kind of gets lost when put on the nail. At least indoors. I'm not sure how visible the shimmer is in sunlight since that's something I never see lol Shown below is three coats with a glossy top coat.

Piazzolla (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Piazzolla (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Piazzolla (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Piazzolla (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Lamarque is a neon magenta with indigo shimmer. I think this one might be my favorite out of the collection and that says a lot beating out Simone since purple is my favorite color. Fun fact: This polish almost perfectly matches the shade sixteen year old me chose for her walls in an act of rebellion (I was told dark purple would make my room look too small - so I was like well okay then, find me the brightest shade of pink you can).

Lamarque (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Lamarque (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Lamarque (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Lamarque (indoors with daylight bulbs)
BTW, in case you didn't believe me about the bedroom walls:


Gardel is a neon tangerine orange with pink shimmer. So this one was the one I thought was the sheerest of the bunch and it's still opaque all on it's on with no undies in a few coats. That's how awesome these neons are. I will definitely be wearing this to an O's game at some point this season!

Gardel (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Gardel (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Gardel (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Gardel (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Cupo is a neon red-orange/coral with copper shimmer. This one really surprised me with how much I liked it! As we all know, red and/or oranges are not my go to colors, but every once in a while I put one on that I really end up loving and Cupo is one of them! This could be a 1-2 coater for those of you who do them thick! Shown below is three coats with a glossy top coat.

Cupo (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Cupo (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Cupo (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Cupo (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Simone is a neon purple with aqua shimmer. Earlier I said we'd cover this one later about color accuracy. Let me say right from the get go: these photos are not color accurate (but I tried, oh sweet baby Jesus did I try). See, purple is one of those super tricky colors when it comes to photography. The camera lens has trouble processing the reds and blues at the same time since they're on opposite ends of the color spectrum and purples have a tendency to come out looking much more blue than they really are. That is an understatement when it comes to neon purples. My initial photos for this don't look anything like the polish. The red tones were non-existent. So full disclosure: I edited these. Pretty heavily color correction wise. The color you see below is my best effort to make these pictures be as color accurate as possible. And while I like to think that I came close, they definitely aren't 100%. This is a warm, pinkish-fuchsia toned neon purple. I cannot stress enough that this polish is warmer than it appears. Shown below is two coats with a glossy top coat.

Simone (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Simone (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Simone (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Simone (indoors with daylight bulbs)
Okay, so I decided to try and snap a bottle pic on my iPhone to see if I could at least get a better idea of color and lo and behold, it turns out pretty much perfect color wise. Because of course. lol Now before anyone is like, "Well why didn't you just swatch with your phone?" the answer to that is because I don't like swatching with my phone and color inaccuracy is rarely an issue for me. My phone is big and awkward (I have hands the size of childs) and I'm not spending money on a tripod and macro lens for it when I already have all that and more for my Nikon. ;)

Simone (indoors under daylight bulbs)
Soooooo, whatcha think? Are you into the shimmer, neon deliciousness of these? I really, really loved that I didn't need a white base to get blindingly bright colors. That's definitely something that stands out to me with these! So, good news! These go on sale just over an hour from now! Launch is today, 3/31 at 3PM PT/6PM ET on the Baroness X website. Individual bottles will be priced at $10 while full size sets (15ml) will be $48 and mini size (8ml) will be $30. There will be 20 sets immediately available and then after those are sold out it will go to pre-order. The mini size will not switch to pre-order. Once the 20 mini sets are gone they are gone.

Follow Baroness X on Social Media:

0 comments: